Monday 16 February 2015

On Getting a Really Kick Ass Job



Unless there's no tea. Don't work anywhere where there's no tea. That would be silly.

So I’ve been fairly quiet of late. Missives on Shaltari awesome and loving flame weapons* aside, I’m usually fairly tight lipped, mostly because my previous job involved long hours and little time to write, but also because the other gents are a) more interesting to listen to** and b) very often in closer proximity to each other*** because they all live in south-er South West London than I do, being in more westerly South West London.
However I’ve got a different reason for not writing for a while. I got a job! Not something to blog about here you may cry, but this isn’t just any job. My current job is…drumroll….working for Hawk Wargames! Yes indeed, I’ve managed to charm, wangle, con, cheat, lie and steal my way into working for the makers of Dropzone Commander itself*****. The I’ll be writing some of the expanded universe, play testing the rules and helping with games development and marketing and, well, basically tons of fun stuff tbh.

That said the un-fun aspect is that i won't be able to write for the blog as I have to be the company man now. That’s right, I’m selling out and selling out hard! I played Edchop such a hard game at invasion as odd man, I almost sunk the team again! Mwhahahahahahaha! 
Hmm. Maybe I shouldn’t type that out-loud. Was a fun game though. 

Anyhoo, being a stooge of such a great company seems like a huge win, though I will miss team OB and the curiously gimp-inducing ways and continue to read and listen to the podcast. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to meeting peeps at shows in the future.

GTDDS

* but they’re just…so…flamey. 
**yeah I know, but they said I had to say that otherwise they’d make me play nothing but 2 Hades and 2 Ferrum armies the rest of my life.
***not saying they walk around joined at the hip or anything odd like that****.
****although two of them do live together. And Zombie state has the gimp. So…yeah.

***** ok maybe not all of that. Like, 85% sure no charming was actually done.

15 comments:

  1. We'll miss you! Much like you missed the second day of Invasion last September (never forgive, never forget!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Bloke. At least you are "selling out" to a Start up in terms of market share. Don't go all GW on us.
    FM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never would - getting to influence new ideas from a company like Hawk is great. Not sure too many 'other' companies like new ideas ;)

      Delete
  3. seems like a good way to get a job in Wargaming... *g* well nwo we will now who to blame if we don't like what's coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy to take the blame for the awesome to come, as long as the whole company gets the credit when you see the coolness :)

      Delete
  4. I sure hope this blog stays alive. Maybe you can do previews (podcast) on new units coming out.
    FM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worry not Mr Anon. As GTDD says he hadn't written much anyway. We still have 4 of us bloggers and regular podcasters.

      Delete
    2. No chance of it dying - if anything this should make it better. More to come if and when i have secret talks with the OB boys...

      Delete
    3. Good to here.
      FM

      Delete
  5. Wow, sounds like a dream job. Congratulations! I don't think I need to say it, but Have Fun!

    So, my mantra is, "I love my job, but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!" How does that apply to you, now?... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lucky you spread those wings before we had a chance to clip them ;) see you soon fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete